Saturday, December 31, 2011

The last blog entry of the year

Dear 2011,
You seemed bright and promising when you came into my life but occasionally, I felt lonely, depressed, and frustrated.  My only hope is that 2012 would be better than you.  Still, we had our bright moments but there were times that I wanted to slap you with a wet noodle.

From,

Me


 Anyhoo, I don't have any resolutions; just a desire to make myself as healthy as I can possibly be.  Losing weight is more than a resolution in my opinion.  It's a lifestyle change and I had lost 30 lbs. about five years ago only to gain 20 lbs. back.  I'm sick of being "the fat chick"; I'm ready to be healthy and thin and with God at my side, all things are definitely possible.

I am hoping to get started on outlining my novel as soon as I can decide what era of 19th century England I want to set it in (either Regency or Victorian) and see if I can do much of my research (for the novel) online rather than spend it in a library like I used to do when I was a history major in college.

I also want to find some random person and "pay it forward."  Yes, you heard me; I want to help a random stranger in need.  A few days ago, I was at Pinkberry and I ordered the wrong size of yogurt.  I told the clerk that I wanted the smaller size and just as she was just about to dump the yogurt she just made, a kindly old lady (with a young boy who I assumed was her grandson) behind me said, "I'll pay for it" as she whipped out a $20 bill from her wallet.  I thanked the woman and she said to me, "Merry Christmas."  I had just exited out of Pinkberry and I turned around to ask the lady what her name was and she had disappeared into the crowd.  So now, I need someone to do the "pay it forward" thing.  Now here's the rule; the recipient must be a complete stranger, so taking my mom to The Cheesecake Factory for lunch isn't "paying it forward."

Up until about a few years ago, I had lost contact with a dear friend of mine who used to be my jr. high English teacher (who was also my aunt's jr. high English teacher).  About a week and a half before Christmas, I received a Christmas card from her (years ago, she remarried and moved from here in San Diego, CA to the Midwest).  I am very excited to start writing to her again.  I have given thought to doing email tag but I would prefer to do the snail mail thing; I feel much more connected that way.  Besides, snail mail is a dying art.

God bless and have a great New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Happy 2012, Shannon! I hope you have a wonderful year. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Shannon - I am just re-posting my answer here to your questions on my blog in case you didn't catch my replies when you asked about linking:

    Blog link: absolutely - that is perfectly fine by me. Thank you so much for asking - I appreciate you wanting to link to my blog. =)

    Thanks, again. =)

    ReplyDelete