Sunday, December 11, 2011

Shannon's Top Ten "O Holy Night" renditions

Forgive me for not blogging in like, forever.  Kthx.

O Holy Night.  This is my favorite Christmas song.  It's moving, romantic at times, and just beautiful.  It describes the night Christ was born, thus giving hope to everyone all around the world.  Based on a French poem/Christmas carol, the melody puts one in some sort of musical trance.  Needless to say, it's a beautiful song and I am deciding to document my Top Ten renditions of the song, courtesy of YouTube.  This is not going to be an easy task as I have a list of over ten artists that are incredibly good vocalists.  This idea came to me while I was riding the trolley home from work and I was listening to the song by an artist that shall remain anonymous because he/she/them may or may not make the list.  Also, feel free to comment with your own thoughts and suggestions of your own.  Drumroll please!

10. Mariah Carey


I like the R&B flavor that Carey adds to the song and gives it a bit of a twist.  Enjoy.

9. Rhema Marvanne


I haven't heard of her until now.  I stumbled randomly onto her singing in this video.  She does start off a little slow but brings it full swing into the song.  If she gets the vocal kinks fixed up, she should have an amazing sining career.

8. Susan Boyle


While she starts off slow as well, she goes into the song, giving O Holy Night that "kick" to it.  She has a marvelous singing voice.

7. Jennifer Hudson


I originally left her on my laundry list of people who sang and recorded O Holy Night but I decided to give her a shot and her R&B version is better than Mariah's, which is why she's higher on the list.  Despite not winning American Idol, Jennifer is quite successful.

6. Weezer


I was pleasantly surprised by Weezer recording O Holy Night.  For fans of Weezer and alternative rock, this is a great tune.  Their version of Hark the Herald Angels Sing is better, though.

5. Celine Dion


The way Celine Dion sings this song, I can totally forgive her for My Heart Will Go On from the Titanic movie soundtrack.

4. Jackie Evancho


This kid has the voice of an angel.  Period. 

3. Placido Domingo


I've listened to this version for years and years.  I love how he starts out singing it in the original French version and then switches to the English one.

2. Third Day


I love how rich the sound is from Third Day.  They give this song some good ol' rock n' roll flavor.

And number one is........::drumroll::


1. Andrea Bocelli


Although he's singing completely in French, his voice is powerful, commanding, yet gentle.  His take on O Come All Ye Faithful is better.

Now you've seen, in my opinion, the Top Ten renditions of O Holy Night.  If you agree or diagree, drop me a line or a comment or whatever.  Here's a list of honorable mentions.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
*Martina McBride
*Josh Groban (although not as good as the rest, I still enjoy listening to his version)
*Faith Hill
*Mormon Tabernacle Choir
*Luciano Pavarotti (yes, hard to believe he didn't make the top ten)
*Mario Lanza
*Arethra Franklin (If this were a Top Eleven list, she'd make #11)

That's it for now.  Enjoy this little blog entry!

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful song. Although it has been ages since I heard the track, I think Martina sounds awesome on her version and Jackie... well, waht else can be said about her?? There is true talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martina did sound good, but her version didn't resonate with the others.

    ReplyDelete