Friday, May 6, 2011

My most uncomfortable moments in cinema.

After recently discovering Michael Fassbender in Inglourious Basterds and Jane Eyre, I became a fan (and developed a crush, but that's another story) so I rented Hunger where Michael plays the Irish rebel Bobby Sands.  Needless to say, I was impressed with the filmmaking - but I didn't like the movie.  I guess it wasn't my cup of tea as it is filled with hard-to-watch scenes of prisoners getting beat up and other parts that I don't feel are appropriate for this blog.  Here are 30 movies with scenes that made me feel generally uncomfortable watching, in no particular order.  I'm not listing every single movie that made me squirm or cringe in my seat because it's an ever-growing list (and chances are, I'd think of a movie the next day to add to the list).

1. Hunger (2008) - Yes, I just mentioned it but I would like to say that the whole movie made me feel uncomfortable.

2. Saving Private Ryan (1998) - The first 15-20 minutes of this film was incredibly hard to watch.  Other than that, the rest of the film was fine.

3. The Passion of the Christ (2004) - The scenes where Jesus is being whipped and beaten by Roman soldiers. 

4. The Blue Lagoon (1980) - A beachside love scene made me blush as a 13-year-old kid.  Only saw about 2% of this film, though.  This very scene made me avoid movies with overt sexual scenes.  Every time I see Brooke Shields, I will forever associate her with this film.

5. The Shining (1980) - The frozen maze chase and the last few minutes of the film as well as the film's ending compared to the book.

6. Psycho (1960) - The infamous shower scene.  It didn't make me blush; it just freaked me out.  In fact, it's the only scene I saw in the movie.

7. The Land Before Time (1988) -  When Littlefoot's mom dies and he has to continue to the Great Valley by himself.  Even as an adult, it breaks my heart.

8. Toy Story 3 (2010) - The incinerator scene. 

9. Anne of Green Gables (1985) - The part where Diana Barry pukes after accidentally getting drunk on currant wine. 

10. Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (2000) - The whole movie made me cringe.  None of it was based on the books.

11. The Green Hornet (2011) - Christoph Waltz's performance.

12. Titanic (1997) - The love scene in the car.

13. Pulp Fiction (1994) - While I like how Quentin Tarantino makes stories into films, this movie was one, big uncomfortable moment.

14. Good (2008) - The theme of adultery in the movie as well as Viggo Mortensen's performance.

15. The Star Wars saga - The dialogue.  I loved the story and the series but George Lucas needs a better screenwriter.

16. Gone with the Wind (1939) - The leg amputation scene.  Still one of my favorite movies.

17. 301, 302 (1995) - The entire movie.

18. Almost anything mocked on Mystery Science Theater.

19. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) - Near the beginning, a toon is doused in "dip" and hearing its screams made me cringe.

20. Coraline (2009) - Most of the movie freaked me out...and this is supposed to be a kiddie flick.

21. The Virgin Spring (1960) - The whole premise of the film.

22. Romeo and Juliet (1968) - The after-the-wedding-night scene.  Still one of my favorite films, though.

23. Water for Elephants (2011) - When August uses a bull hook to train and punish an elephant.

24. Hamlet (1996) - Jack Lemmon's performance.

25. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - When the huntsman tells Snow White about the evil queen's intentions and tells her to run away.

26. Cinderella (1950) - When Cinderella's stepmother locks her in a room to avoid her meeting Prince Charming.

27. Animal House (1978) - The overt sexuality.

28. Amadeus (1984) - Factual inaccuracy.

29. The Sandlot (1993) - When the kids puke on the rides at the county fair.

30. The 400 Blows (1959) - The way Antoine is treated by his teacher and his parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment