Monday, April 11, 2011

Civil War geneology and a beachside bike ride

Tomorrow will be the 150th anniversary of the start of the American Civil War, a conflict that lasted about four years but has so much history and background on it.  It is significant because we, as a nation, could have possibly been divided into two different nations.  It is significant to me because, about a few years back, some of my dad's relatives had mailed us some geneology information.  Apparently, one of our ancestors on the side of my paternal grandmother had fought in the Civil War for the Union.  His name was Joseph McCracken, the son of an Irish immigrant, Solomon, and his American-born wife, Esther.  He was the youngest of Solomon and Esther's children.  Unfortunately, Solomon died in 1850, shortly after sailing to California for the gold rush from the East Coast (they sailed around South America and up along the Pacific shoreline).  Anyway, Joseph enlisted in the Union army in 1864 when he was about 20 or so.  According to the information that was sent to me, my ancestor was in the Iowa Infantry, Co. E, 15th.  I did a little research on the Internet and I was able to find out more information about where he was stationed: GAR POST 80, Red Cloud, Webster County Nebraska.  Now this is some interesting stuff.  It's really cool to know what your relatives did a century and a half ago.  I really wish I had pictures of Joseph McCracken in his uniform; that would've been interesting. 

Today, I went on a 90 minute bike ride along the Mission Beach boardwalk.  It was a lot of fun and I wish I had the time and the money to do it all day.  I rented a bike, rode up from Mission Beach to the start of Pacific Beach, past the Crystal Pier and the lifeguard tower, turned around, and rode back to the end of Mission Beach.  I contemplated riding the bike to nearby Ocean Beach but it was too far and I'd have to ride on city streets.  I then turned around and made a grueling bike ride back to the lifeguard tower near PB because going that way is the "uphill" part.  The downhill part is fun and riding back "down" makes me feel as if I were flying.  With the wind in my face, a beautiful blue sky with small patches of clouds, pelicans flying in formation, I thanked the Lord for this beautiful day that He had made. 

Well, it's almost 10 after 11 p.m. this evening.  Time to retire.  Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment