Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The virginity stigma, rapping hamsters, and more!

First of all, I was going to post a YouTube video of the Kia commerical featuring rapping hamsters.  I saw it on TV this evening after Survivor and I was annoyed by it and wanted to mock it but the more I played the commercial on YouTube, the more I thought it was kind of cute.

Anyhoo, I'd like to talk about a certain subject that is important when it comes to dating and it happened to come to my mind earlier this evening.  In our current dating culture, it seems as if there's some sort of social stigma toward those who are virgins.  I'm not saying everyone discriminates against the "untouched" and I'm not going to preach abstinence or anything.  It's just that I feel that those who are "untouched" seem to be looked down upon as socially awkard, even more so for the guy who is expected to be "macho" and "masculine."

Those who are virgins do have their reasons for holding out on sex.  Some aren't ready for it and some have no desire to be intimate at all.  I have mine; I'm 29 years old and I still haven't done the deed.  My choice is based upon my Christian faith and I prefer to stay that way until I marry.  In my opinion, I have more respect for a guy who still has the big "V."  Just because those who haven't had sex doesn't make them less of a person, socially or physically.  I don't rag on those who have done it since it's none of my business.  I just feel that sexual abstinence has helped to respect my body and my soul and I don't think I deserve the social stigma and I don't think anyone else does, regardless of sexual activity or lack thereof.  I'm happy with my purity and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  It's God's gift to me.

On an unrelated note, I enjoy listening to classical music as some people might now.  I find that listening to Johann Pachebel's Canon in D gives me great ideas for my book.  It helps me to imagine the scenes, the characters, and the general ambiance of the whole story.  It sounds like a soundtrack to a made-for-TV period piece film.  And since my novel will take place in the Victorian era, the tune matches the scenery even though the novel takes place in 19th century England and Canon in D was composed a century earlier.  It sounds so romantic and so lulling.  I also added more characters to my character sketch list.  It keeps growing and I'm so excited to be writing my book.  I keep picturing it as a film, which makes it easier for me.  Someone once suggested that I write a screenplay instead.  I prefer to write a book because it's so much more fun to use one's imagination to imagine the story instead of seeing it on the big screen.  However, I would have no problem if someone chooses to adapt my book to the big screen, should my novel be published.

A funny story for you: a few years back, I wanted to visit the new library in La Mesa, CA (located in East San Diego County for those who are not familiar with San Diego, CA).  Prior to the construction of the new building, it looked so out of date and the bathrooms were incredibly tiny.  With its new facility, it's nice and has a great atmosphere to it.  Anyhoo, I think it was either my first or second time visiting the library and I was in a hurry to use the bathroom and leave.  I immediately make a beeline for the first bathroom I see.  The first thing I notice is that the bathroom I enter is slightly different than the one I'm normally used to using.  Let's put it this way: I normally don't see urinals in a woman's restroom.  After I realized that I have mistakenly entered the wrong bathroom (thankfully, no men were using the facilities), I hurried out of there, only to find a woman entering the RIGHT bathroom across from me, who got a glimpse of me leaving the little boys' room.  She saw me blush and the two of us just laughed it off. 

I'm off to shower and then to bed to get up early for work.  Fin.

2 comments:

  1. It's kind of strange, but I almost feel that the stigmata of being a virgin is just as strong within the Christian church -- otherwise, why would everyone be trying so hard to marry off all the single people in the congregation? You disappear in-between being a teenager and a "married couple," and the church doesn't really know what to do with you. Or at least that's been my experience. I've never had any particular shame in remaining a virgin -- and usually when people push me to become involved with some guy, I give them The Look and use a few examples of where that gets you to shut them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit that I have but I realize that I would much rather stick to God's principles than someone else's.

    ReplyDelete