Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Writing historical fiction

The plot for my historical, "period piece" novel keeps unraveling every day.  After reading tons of Regency and a few Victorian era fiction books, I want to tackle my own Victorian era novel.  Half of the plot makes sense and half of it doesn't. 

And no, I don't have this on paper, though it will be pretty soon.  I'm itching to write the darn thing even though I still have tons of research to do.  If I don't write something, my brain will probably explode from all the information retained in it.

What I have considered doing was to do an outline, character sketches, and a short story version while doing my research simultaneously.  I am not sure if this is a good idea or not.  I have a story in my head that's just dying to be on the New York Times bestseller list.

For those that are curious, I won't divulge the entire plot because I like to keep my ideas rather than have someone steal them.  Basically, it's a love story, though not the mushy type because I hate mushy romances.  It's also Christian themed, however, I'd like to make it appeal to secular as well as Christian audiences.  Any advice or criticism is welcome by me as I am learning and growing in this kind of thing.

Sorry this blog entry is short.  1,000 Ways to Die is on.  Fin.

P.S. If you have any questions or comments about the blog, visit theshannifesto@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment