Monday, April 18, 2011

Sometimes I don't understand fashion.

This morning, I spent some time watching QVC out of sheer boredom; I NEVER watch home shopping channels so that tells you how bored I really was.  I ended up watching a segment featuring fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi.  You would think that being a fashion designer would mean dressing like one.  Well, Isaac was on TV wearing what looked like a windbreaker, jeans, and a pair of soccer flip-flops.  I would assume that a fashion designer would dress a little more "dressy," but then again, if he feels comfortable in what he wears on live television, then that's fine. 

Later, he and his female host got into describing his newest line of creations.  The apparel featured was designed specifically to be springtime wear because of the look and feel of the clothing.  Buzz words like "classic" and "look" were thrown around like unwanted toys.  To me, I wear whatever feels comfortable and stylish.  I don't see any neccessity in wearing clothing that "matches" the current season by color.  I don't even see the point of it.  Clothing is clothing, no matter if it's below zero at a Green Bay Packers game in December or if it's 110 degrees in the middle of an Arizona summer.  You just wear more of it in colder climate and less of it in hot weather, that's all.  It's not like the Fashion Police will stop and arrest me because my blouse doesn't mesh well with the current season.

Still, I did like some of the stuff that Isaac designed (a purse that has a magnetic buckle) but I didn't feel like dragging my debit card out of my wallet to buy his overpriced stuff; besides, some of his designer clothing is at Target anyway. 

I rented a couple of films today.  The one I saw this evening was Due Date featuring Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis.  Needless to say, it seems to be a cross between The Hangover and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.  I didn't laugh and some of the lines felt forced, if you will.  What I did like about it was that Robert Downey Jr.'s character was willing to drive for five days and nights to witness the birth of his child.  Tomorrow, I might see the other film I rented titled Coco Before Chanel with French actress Audrey Tautou.  I saw her in A Very Long Engagement (a film recommended to me by my college history professor) and The DaVinci Code and I was impressed with both performances.  I should rent the film Amelie sometime (the movie she is known for).

Right now, I'm listening to Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D.  It is a seemingly relaxing piece of classical music and it helps me to get good ideas for writing (big classical music fan here).  In fact, any music that sounds good to me just rips open my imagination for ideas and stories. 

Well, I shall hie to bed; tomorrow, I will probably be out on another Mission Beach bike ride.  Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment